Monday, September 28, 2015

OLD AND NEW JOYFUL MEMORIES

 The treasure of a friendship brings forth great memories. This design project for Frette from eighteen years ago was unearthed after a conversation with Rosanne Sachson, A.S.I.D. filled with joyful laughter.

“Sail Away” was the theme and a Nan Rae painting graced the wall above the bed in the window on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills ….. through a number of linen changes.   

Frette 10001

  This Nan Rae note card is a special remembrance from the installation day!
 Architectural Interior Designer Rosanne Sachson & Artist Nan Rae.

Sail Boat Nan Rae0001

Lunch with Carol O’Toole brought back another joyful memory as she was the Junior Phil who sponsored my doing a Limited Edition Serigraph for the 1996 Pasadena Showcase House of Design.Iris

 

                                                                            

 

Serigraph is a fine art silkscreen print.  The silkscreen print making process was first used by fine artists in the 1930's to create original art prints were given the name 'serigraph' by Carl Zigrosser, Curator of Prints at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  Later, the process was found to be an excellent method for creating high-quality reproductions of paintings.   Lately, the term serigraph has also applied to these reproductive silkscreen prints. 

Here the Artist supervises the production of her Iris Serigraph which begins with the original image being separated by color.  A thin sheet of Mylar is placed over the image.  Everywhere color appears it is blocked out by hand to match the original artwork.  The step is repeated for each color.  The Mylar sheets are transformed to silk film to form a screen. 

The screen is placed onto an inking frame; the appropriate color ink is hand applied to each sheet of quality paper registered to match the screen.  The image must fall into place flawlessly. 

The serigraph process enables the Unique Quality of an original artwork to exist in a multiple format, because it is a 'hands on' method of reproducing the original image.


Many artists of the 20th century have utilized the Serigraph process to reproduce their work, including Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol and Chemiakin Erte.  The process yields a fine artwork that increases in value along with the original artwork. 

The art of Serigraphy is well established and owning one is a good art purchasing decision. 

 
Thank you dear Carol for your faith and support of my work thru the years and special thanks for the treasure of your friendship!
IMG 4197
IMG 4208
Now for lunch with another dear and precious friend who has also been a great booster and long time collector.  Dear Alice and I met at Prosecco Tratoria in Toluca Lake and we were so engaged in conversation it wasn’t until we waited for the valet that I snapped this phicture!
IMG 4262
I wish you beauty each and every day and a joy filled life!
IMG 4255

 

 

 

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.