Saturday, September 5, 2015

A LOVELY MOONLIT NIGHT.....

…….in her beautiful garden...

IMG 3325

……was the perfect setting for Valerie Foster Hoffman’s grand soiree to celebrate Satinder Dhiman’s scholarly tome ‘GANDHI and LEADERSHIP:  New Horizons in Exemplary Leadership’.  I am in absolute awe of Satinder’s scholarship as he is truly a ‘universal man’. http://foreverfulfilled.com/

IMG 3444

"Gandhi and Leadership admirably lays bare all the secrets of effective leadership: character, personal integrity, and authenticity—characteristics found in both subject and the writer. A formula not only for professional success but also for a life well lived! I can think of no one more qualified to write about Gandhi's life and work and its value in the 21st century than Satinder Dhiman. Readers will find, as Martin Buber stated, 'There is divine meaning in the life of the world' as Dhiman makes these universal truths about leadership relevant to the world of commerce through the life example of Gandhi." - Nan Rae, Internationally acclaimed artist of Chinese Brush Painting

For the best investment in knowledge you could make go to:  http://www.amazon.com/Gandhi-Leadership-New-Horizons-Exemplary/dp/1137492333

Everything does work out when we relax into the river of our lives...

I was able to deliver the painting to be donated for the Robinson Gardens gala on the 12th to lovely Diane Jenkins when I arrived. Perfect! 

IMG 3041

Diane is holding a little booklet that Nikka and I created describing the process of making the artwork.

IMG 3282

Valerie, the hostess with the mostest and her friend Angel greet us…...IMG 3284

 Cocktails, hors d’ oeuvres and catching up  are in order…..

IMG 3306

 You know what always gets my attention…...

IMG 3307

 Diane and Vanya, Valerie’s sister catch up…...

IMG 3292

 Satinder and Carol Soucek King have a lot to discuss while Faith stands enthralled…..

IMG 3285

Time for Valerie to introduce Satinder...

21071265561 2865e6292d z

P1020084

….and we have the great privilege of hearing him speak of Gandhi and other matters of great import!

20440974964 2e78a2f011 o

21037410086 f0e7b95efe z

I’m practicing my ‘V' for when I go to Japan in November…..21071134421 850bfda65c z

 Classically trained Alexey Steele, one of the artists of note at American Legacy Fine Arts, here with his charming wife….

21053519652 04838da27f z

20442508423 ea1a233ea2 z

20876898539 da5e34603a z

 In honor of Satinder Valerie catered delicious Indian food...

20875801738 afc8615b4c z

20440897814 b55b804b4f z 2

IMG 3333

 This is no way to start a diet!

IMG 3335

 Lovely Conchita.  Doesn’t she look like Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara?  I love listening to her recite poetry…..She’s a true romantic!

IMG 3337

 Thank you Satinder for sharing your knowledge with us and for the lovely inscription in my book!

IMG 3340

 With special thanks to Valerie who goes above and beyond for her guests….Night night….

IMG 3347

 The dining room was so lovely I had to share it with you….

IMG 3343

May you have countless moonlit evenings brimming with inspiration and love!

IMG 3352

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.