Tuesday, January 14, 2014

WHERE WAS I?

Oh yes, New Year’s…..my resolution and all.  Still can’t tell but I’ve come close to non compliance several times. (Confession is good for the soul.)

Thank you Mason Williams for always remembering me at Christmas.  You truly are a ‘Classical Gas!’ Next time you’re in L.A. I shall shadow you to meet Ed Ruscha.

010

Neighbors took me to dinner at ‘The Smokehouse’, a Burbank ‘classic’ for a trillion years.  A woman standing  in front our table had her pen & pad at the ready so I asked her to tell me about the salmon.  She replied, “I don’t know anything about the salmon.”  Well, I thought I’d try another approach and asked how the salmon was prepared….you know, what came with it.  Again I got the same answer only to be told by my hosts that she was there to take our picture.  Thanks, but no thanks.  You’d think one faux pas would be enough for the evening but oh no……The next gal who came by carried the longest stemmed roses ever and kept trying to hand them to me.  ‘No thank you’ says I, ‘I have them in my garden’.  (It reminded me of the little kids in China.) She persisted and finally my hosts told me they had been purchased and to PLEASE TAKE THE ROSES!  Woops!

What about the salmon you asked as I digressed…..don’t bother ordering it.

006

Calligraphy class on Saturday was wonderful with two new students for Tom.  Delightful Diana and Bridget both Kung Fu Black Belts so don’t mess with them.  They’re mighty powerful.

005

Thank you Miss Judith for this delightful surprise!  Looks too pretty to sample!

090 And a special thanks to Tom for this awesome calligraphy via Miss Judith.   It says  ‘Blessings!’ Perfect!!!

088

Stylish Violet was just back from Hong Kong.

007

Time for dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Americana.

012

Tomiko serves up the beef soup.  Delicious but the beef is not the easiest to eat.

015

What we came for….Dumplings!  The pork filled ones are the best!019

I hadn’t planned it  but this may have been my personal best for number of movies seen in one week starting with ‘Frozen’.

025

I loved this guy!032

Ron Burgundy (Anchorman)

036

Fantastic ensemble acting in ‘American Hustle’

051

Bring lots of Kleenex for ‘Saving Mr. Banks’

050

‘Nebraska’, Bruce Dern’s tour de force role of a lifetime.

056

‘The Great Beauty’, an Italian film, shades of Ingmar Bergman.  Will someone please explain this movie to me?

082

Did you count?  That’s right…..seven movies.  I still don’t know how it happened.  I  managed to get some work done with the highlight of the week being…. lunch with precious Lisa.

053

We met at Tender Greens in Pasadena and the gal to my right was reading what looked like a very interesting book.  (I’m going to try and control myself in the book buying department as I’ve finally admitted I’m addicted.)

052

Of course a week isn’t complete without more foodie photos so here’s one from Le Pain Quotidien.

048

And a stop at Katsuya….

039

Time to have a party!  It’s Vicki’s birthday!

105

Gourmet 88 of course!

106

Let’s hear it for the cake….Red Velvet from Cheesecake!

117

Emma & BF Joseph are in charge of the cleanup.

120

Later I watched the raising & training of the Lipizzaner stallions on PBS (second time.)

134

If you have a re-sale number, this is the best place to go for framing supplies.

100

101

Time to put away Christmas in the studio!

020

I thought as long as we have a lot of ‘stuff’ out of the closets, why not take everything out and get organized for the new year.  I had no idea……

There was so much stuff….

056

More…..

060

Kim & Nikka worked two days well into the evening….placing things in either the trash, re-cycle, or Goodwill piles. My job as chief supervisor was to look at everything and decide which stack it should go into. We’re down to the fine tuning now and that could very well be the most difficult.

Time for a break.  Tomiko & I went to see ‘Peter and the Star Catcher’ at the Ahmanson.

023

We had decided ahead of time that instead of Kendall’s we’d try the ‘Taco truck’ that always had so many people lining up.

028

We went back for seconds….

033

It’s a long story but suffice it to say we wound up in one of the boxes……right close to the stage. Here’s our view of the audience.

046

The play was wonderful…..the best we’ve seen in a long time and the audience caught every funny line as they went rolling by lickety split. Just in case you’re not familiar with the plot, it’s the story of how Peter Pan and Captain Hook came into their personas.  Hysterical throughout. Can you see the piano player to the left?

049

Here he is….

048

Time to say goodbye for now….

013

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.