Tuesday, January 28, 2014

RE-ENTERING PLANET EARTH……

……Not so easy when you take a time out but somehow do-able and I’m trying to play catch-up. Where was I? Oh yes, ages ago, perhaps around the middle of the month I saw ‘August: Osage County’.

002  Somehow the movie made dysfunctional and family said together seem redundant.  Mark Twain said that when you write you should throw out all your ‘pearls’, those things that come so easily and that you think are soooo very clever.  Perhaps if these brilliant actors had pulled back and done that it would have become a more important, meaningful movie….But then again, it was a stage play and perhaps acted as such in the movie. What do you think?

004    I think Nebraska was a better portrayal of characters that have some similarities to ‘A:OC’.  For one, Bruce Dern held back all his ‘Brucies’ or ‘Dernsies’ as some fellow actors call his ‘tricks’.  A very laid back, subtle performance.

067

Dinner at Bar Verde afterwards helped somewhat.

005

I’d never been to ‘Romancing the Bean’ in Burbank and Lynne T. has been raving about it so I suggested Lisa PHC and I meet there.  I love it! Farm fresh and oh so cute!

007

This is the back of a chair….SOOOOO COOL!

015

More cuteness……Hi Lisa!

018

That Wednesday I had seven new students at the Huntington and we had a grand time.  (Not everyone got into the picture. Shy?)

030

The next day I had a repeat performance of that nasty bug that laid me low a couple of months ago.  Got a Z-Pak (is that correct?) from my doctor and tried to behave myself.  Sweet Amy came by with all manner of ‘treatments’ from Whole Foods. Orange juice, soup, raspberries, a special tea ………….

025

……..and most importantly, ‘Bio-K’ which is some kind of a wonder working product that one should take when on anti-biotics.  Thank you so much precious Amy, I’ll never forget your going out at night to do that for me!

026

So, class on the 18th was cancelled and I tried to stay in bed.  Nikka and Kim somehow got all the detritus in the studio closets tossed and now we’re so organized I can hardly cope!

062

Sandie came over Monday to pick up her catalog and cards and that was almost as good as ‘Sunday’s With Sandie’!  Special thanks for the beautiful tulips Sandie which lasted a week!

034

I had an appointment in Beverly Hills and hunger got the best of me so a stop upstairs at Barney’s for a Ruben at Greengrass’s was called for. Caution, caution….something has changed and they’re just not the same. Even the cole slaw was flat. Boo hoo! I guess Canter’s and dumpy Billy’s in Glendale are still the best.

045

Meet Mr. Peeper’s, Adrianna’s one & only!

039

Chocolate decadence was my desert after an elegant dinner at caviar heaven… Petrossian’s on North Robertson in West Hollywood. 

064

Sweet Diana in class on Saturday.  I love reading her daily ‘Gratitude’ postings on Facebook!

066

And here’s the class….(Kathy brought yummy Panna Cotta from Kaley….oh my gosh I’m sooo spoiled!)

067

Thank you Diane for the beautiful Ranunculus.

003

  I see a new ‘subject’ coming on.009 Now Pooh is trying to give you a clue about my next blog albeit not a very good one.  Hint:  It’s all about food.  Another hint?  Think Japan.

010

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.