Sunday, November 24, 2013

WHAT A FUN WAY TO START THE WEEK…….

…….Sandie and Jim came over to pick up Sandie’s awesome Christmas card for title approval…..this was just after Kita dashed outside to greet Jim…..missed that shot!  Anyway, Sandie wanted to show me the great doggies she got for the Christmas display at work.  From the sound of things it’s going to be quite complicated and includes a ‘found’ antique coat stand to hold Santa’s P.J.’s (the one’s with the trap door) and Mrs. Claus’s apron.  There will be a table with Santa’s mug and milk & cookies and so many things….Sandie could be a set designer.

007


More for the display….there’s no end to the cuteness!

009

After they left, Kita finally settled down to watch Kim water….

004

Thank you Kim….

006

….and I was off to Pirch.  Well actually I had to get something at Bloomie’s first……

001  This fashionista had her eye on the same jacket I was going for…..this could be trouble….call security!

006 ….Back to Pirch.

014

…amazing bathrooms….

012

013

…and a kitchen I’m dreaming about!

016

Inspiring thoughts everywhere…..

0113

And these transparent labels you can put all over your house!!!

010

And now here’s Marco, a Pomeranian I met while waiting for my car.

007

Monday was sensational with Lizzie coming over to work on Christmas cards…..

021

Thank you soooo much for the yummy candy Lizzie…..didn’t it go great with our Nespresso cappuccino’s?

020

We can no longer get the Cannon printers that we’ve used forever and the new ones just don’t work for our needs.  I had taken one that coughed it’s last to Business Machines and begged George to make it well again.  He was able to replace the complete insides and Monday afternoon I gratefully picked it up.

Here’s George….

024

025

Since I was so close, I stopped at Bloomie’s in Sherman Oaks for dinner….too bad they don’t have one of these in Glendale.

027

Yum, yum and healthy too so I got a smoothie to go with it!

028

They have an awesome Nespresso bar in the kitchen section and will make you anything you wish with the bonus round of a piece of chocolate!!!

031

Did anyone see the amazing moon this week???

033

Or Lady Gaga on Channel 5 ???

043

Class at the Huntington Botanical Gardens is always so much fun and especially when adorable Monica is there.

044

Monica just came back from a 3 day jaunt to Japan with a stewardess friend and declared she wants to live there or at least go 3 times a year.  She’s in love with Japan and made me even more excited about going there in March.

Even the candy is cute!!!

047

046

Leaving the Huntington I enjoyed the beautiful Ginkgo trees in all their golden glory.

049

Then it was off to the Langham to meet Tomiko for an early dinner.  While waiting I met sweet pooch Maddie, a guest at the hotel while her home is being re-modeled.

052

I suspect my constant picture taking is torture for Tomiko but she puts up with me..061

They always have the most beautiful floral arrangements in the lobby.

053 060

On to dinner at The Royce….now an overpriced glorified steak house. We had the three cuts tasting and I honestly found all three tasteless….they certainly needed all the sauces.

079

080

I didn’t care for the spinach or the mushrooms either.

078

But the tomatoes were lovely.

070

Next stop the Pasadena Civic Center to here Fareed Zakaria, one of the Distinguished Speaker series.  He was fantastic…..I try to catch him on CNN  Sundays.

117

Now here’s a cutie if there ever was one. Heaven-Leigh, (yes, that’s her real, wonderful name) the Sales Team Leader /Intimate Apparel at Bloomie’s in Glendale.  I so hope she follows her dream to be an actress!!!

084

Where was I? Oh yes, at Whole Foods just as a wheel of delicious Asiago was being cut.  My mission….to order our turkey for the big day.

092

We always wait ‘till after Thanksgiving to get the trees up but it’s such a job I told Nikka to get started while Kim can help her.

104

So many boxes…...I suspect it will take another weekend.

100

Later Kim is trying to get Kita to use her new bed.  It’s the 5th one as she destroyed the other 4.  Somehow she just doesn’t get the concept and I wonder why I ever bother.

114

We wish you and all those you hold dear the most beautiful Thanksgiving ever… filled with love and laughter!

128

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.