Monday, November 4, 2013

I HAD THE DAY ALL PLANNED OUT……

…….beautifully I had hoped, beginning with an hour’s conversation with a poet in Palo Alto who wants me to illustrate her book.  (Do we say poet or poetess?….You know….actor now applies to male & female….I’m confused.)

Down the hill I met Kim, walking Kita.  Good job Kim!

003 After that, a stop at CVS and then right down San Fernando to Armstrong’s for a garden hose.

043

Timing this perfectly, I gave my car to the valet at Americana and got a new towel holder at Sur la Table…..It’s the 3rd one in a month & hopefully a keeper.

042

Just time to make ‘Captain Phillips’ ……afterwards I was going to have dinner at Bar Verde and brought along Sunday’s New York Times Magazine section for company.

044

011

Just when the Captain and the pirates are about to engage….my little purse starts ringing.  I thought it was part of the movie.  At the second call I wondered….by the third I took out my phone to see Miss Judith had been calling me.  There was a message…”We’re here at Min’s WAITING FOR YOU”!!!  Eeeeeee gads…..where am I??? (Don’t answer that.)  It had been as clear as can be….Sunday the 3rd….Comedy Night….. Yeah….sure was!

048

Oh my gosh….I dash out into the lobby to call Judith back and tell her I’d meet them at Phoenicia (the pre-show restaurant).  I was in my all day, knock around get up…oh my…love me as I is!

The valet at Phoenicia took my car and there they were….Min & Eileen….

013

and Miss Judith with long time friend Val Douglas.

016

My three angels decided to walk to the theatre  (refusing my offer to drive) and I told Eileen I’d meet them at the Alex.  Off I go, parking behind Far Niente and the ‘Open Until 2:00 We Love Beer Bar’…..very scared to think I’d have to walk out there in the dark (no valet) for my car.  So, prancing thru the bar I get to the ALEX to find it CLOSED.  De ja vu all over again!  Thankfully Eileen phoned and told me….it’s The Glendale Center Theatre on Orange.  Of course, it’s all coming back to me…now I remember from last year.  Eeeee gads!

041

Fritz Coleman is a terrific MC….it’s hard to get a picture of him….he’s in constant motion.

025

Quinn Dahle, Bobby Collins & Ron Pearson  were so funny…… great comedians, I laughed so hard tears were rolling.  The bonus round was Lucius, this therapy dog for wounded vets….he sat patiently throughout the show….I fell in love!

030

He deserved this VIP seat!

023

Ron Pearson added a hysterical routine on the unicycle after his standup!

033

Thank you Miss Judith and Eileen for treating me to such a fun evening & for overlooking my less than desired behavior!  Hopefully next time I’ll know where I am, or rather….where I should be!  I know, it will help tremendously if I look at my calendar.

Three angels….Min, Miss Judith and Eileen!

035

For now……..

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.