Saturday, December 1, 2012

‘THE BOOK OF MORMON’ and ELLEN DE GENERES…..……

…….all in one week…..WOW! 010

Tomiko got great seats for the last performance which was completely sold out. 

004

We used the valet parking…..right around the corner from the Pantages and not that much more than the lots.  A high recommend!

008

Get ready, get ready, get ready……..

022

If you haven’t been to the Pantages in ages it’s worth the price of admission just to see this fine old reminder of Hollywood in its glory days!

015

O.K. people, line up behind me…..

014

Tomiko I love those boots…..

012

Waiting…….

020

Hollywood & Vine, I feel just like a tourist only I’m not wearing sneakers…..

007 

Afterwards we went to ‘Little Dom’s’ on Hillhurst for dinner.

033

Campari and soda anyone???????

028

Makes me feel soooo Continental…..

026

Arugula & Parmesan salad is simply out of this world…

024

Working on ‘all gone’ …Pizza Margherita with homemade sausage…a house specialty and so good your eyes will roll back in your head…or something….

023

Next day I relaxed at Wokano….they have the best green tea…

003

Aromatic shrimp…

002

Duck wraps….so yummy…..

001

On to the Ellen DeGeneres Show.  Susi phoned with tickets she had won when at a taping for the ‘Bethenny Frankel Show’…..

image10

Besides going through the metal detectors, you’re required to leave your guns behind.  Boo hoo!

image11

But first you have to go to Gate 3 on Olive006

After major I.D. checks you’re given instructions…..then more instructions….then…

005

I could tell this would be a long day so a hot dog & water from the food truck was a good idea….

007

Ellen Water….$1.50

009

We were given a pass and instructions to show this at the next check point….

008

Susi on the left with friend Judith.  Judith has a brand new skin care line….’La Contessa, Advanced Skincare’, & if her complexion is any indication I’m getting a carload!

004

O.K., finally crossed the street to the main lot and passed the metal detectors.  Now there’s more lining up and more waiting.  Here’s Judith’s delightful daughter Megan who is a neo-natal (did I say that right) nurse and the sweetest girl on planet earth!

014

More waiting, Megan, Judith & Susi. But at least we had a chance to go shopping at the ‘Ellen Store’. Briefs anyone???

012

Finally……it’s 4:00 and showtime!  They get the audience dancing and going crazy for about 20 minutes…..

016 

Everyone in the audience received a POWER BALL ticket and I’m greatly surprised and disappointed not to have won…….

001

Jane Lynch was one of the guests on the show and she did a segment called ‘PICTIONARY’.  After the show we were compelled to stay another two hours while the pilot for this ‘new’ show was taped.  That’s the moon you see to the upper right as I was (finally) driving out of the studio parking lot.

022

To be continued……………….

For more information:

www.lacontessaskincare.com

www.pantages-theatre.com

www.littledoms.com

1 comment:

Victory Lee Malon said...

Dear Nan, loved your Christmas Pics. You all looked so beautiful and was that your husband in the wheelchair and then the older woman was your mom? The lighting of the Chinese Lanterns was so much fun to watch! I am going to get my hands on a bunch of them and use them for July 4th (my oldest son Ryan's birthday)and set them free and lit up on that day. If we could get a freak warm spell I would do it during winter then but warm spells in the middle of winter in MN is not so good. We really need the moisture. Also the pics of the theater and all of the shots of your Christmas fun, gee, I guess snow is not requred to have a beautiful Christmas. My son Ry came home for Christmas and that is as good as it gets for me, it warms the heart to have your son home for Christmas. Plus he is a chef and so that is always good for me to not have to cook. I used to love to cook but am burnt out from making a big dinner every day that my husband works. Well I will say bye bye for now and glad that you had such a wonderful holiday(s).

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.