Friday, November 4, 2011

FOODIE ALERT…MAKING WONTONS at VIOLET LEE’S……

…..was soooooooooooo much fun!

Bonnie Schwartz testing Violet’s beautiful Steinway.  Bonnie, a concert violinist along with hubby Charlie, a brilliant writer and all around amazing fellow, went with us to China where one of our stops was to a tea farm.  Thoughtfully Bonnie brought along the brick (correct) of tea purchased there and the little knife used to shave off just a bit for brewing the perfect pot of tea.  What delightful memories that brought back!

003

Bonnie, Violet, me and Kc Camp

005

So much beautiful artwork…..

007

 

This calligraphy was written by Mao himself and is all about how wonderful he was!008

Tables set, all that’s needed are the Wontons!

012

Violet explains the filling……

014

Bonnie was a real assembly line.024 

Kc did pretty good herself!

025

 

Sweet Lynne Sims was late so it was hard for her to catch up.027

Into the pot they go…….

028

We laughed so hard seeing all these remotes lined up.

029

 

I love this one. So Zen.030

MUSHROOMS.  Yummy!

032

 

This work is really extraordinary….a close up is next.033

 

034

Is it soup yet?

036

Beautiful and soooo yummy in the tummy!

037

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.