Monday, October 22, 2018

HEIFER INTERNATIONAL SPECIAL EVENT AT NBC UNIVERSAL

What a great day!

After parking the car Nikka and I were shuttled to the event, passing so many interesting buildings on the huge  Universal Studio's lot.



I've been to these before so I was prepared to go crazy seeing all the animals.  The most fun ever was once in Beverly Hills where the small animals were caged off in an area for the little kids to play in. Of course Charles gave me the assignment of going in with them and catching a chicken for a photo opp.  Have you ever tried to catch a chicken? 😂
First stop Freckles, the sweet cow....Yes, she's real.


Next the area holding the precious lambs, goats, ducks and ducklings plus one very little piggy! You could no longer get in there and play with them. (Also, it was a much smaller setup.)


The ducks really have attitude.  Good for them!

How often do you get to pet a Llama?

Next we got a bunch of raffle tickets...

There were food stations set up in several places and lots of seating everywhere.  The food was delicious...I had a tamale and the best rib ever plus one yummy salad I had to get extras on! There was some custardy thing with fresh corn that was sensational!  I passed on all the fantastic deserts...

After that I felt like Blue, the 500 + pound pig! I get why George Clooney had one of these!

We weren't quite sure of this were we.....

Good idea!

What's wonderful is that only female animals are sent to the various countries and then the recipients are to give the first offspring to another family.



I was even less sure of Orlando, the water buffalo, after being cautioned not to pet him but so happy to remember all our sightings of them in China!

Buck, the steer, was much more accomodating.

The 'Year of The Pig' is rapidly approaching and Moby is ready for his closeup.


Hey, I almost missed this....How is that possible?

Nikka got to feed the lambs...It's a little slimy but thrilling!


....and I petted just about everything in sight!



Later on we sat down on one of the many bales of hay and listened to the auctioneer....




They had a brilliant setup ...Select volunteers had iPads and went about when you raised your hand and locked in your credit card right away!
Just a thought....You can get all manner of animals from chickens to an ox or how about a whole ark for $5,000.  What a great birthday or Christmas gift for any animal and people lover ...this little lamb would be so grateful!


www.heifer.org



No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.