Monday, June 25, 2018

AND THE BEAT GOES ON

What could possibly more joyful than a baby shower with the anticipation of
                                              new life, new beginnings!
                                      Beautiful Poolak, mother to be.....
Farnaz you did the most spectacular job...
Maryam and I had a wonderful time!
Amy and I went to The Music Center Foundation's Summer Celebration
The event was held at The Mullin Private Automotive Collection where antique French cars are on display.



It was quite an evening!

As always, the Salon at Carol Soucek King's home was filled with the most interesting people all doing amazing things to make life on our planet better.
Thank you dear Carol for opening your home and your heart!
Farnaz and I went to see Maryam's Seyhoun Gallery exhibit in Santa Monica.....
A Tribute to Masoumeh Seyhoun, her father and world renowned architect and artist.
All this talent is one family...Here's Maryam's brilliant cousin, artist Jason Noushin.
I love this painting of his!

Yours truly with delightfully charming Princess Francesca Gioia Drommi.

Afterwards Farnaz and I went to Shutters on The Beach for a late dinner.
I know, this should have had a candle in it!
Precious Molly Girl in town briefly, leaving her nest in Mexico and inviting me over for lunch and some catch-up time!
Since I'm on the subject of lunch (surprise) how about this lovely table set by Her Loveliest, dear Maggie!
I was knocked out seeing that I brought Maggie a book in line with what she had been studying.  Amazing and truly joyful!
Well Father's Day was coming up so Maggie and I decided to return to the Royce at the Langham to enjoy their amazing buffet. This was just the area for starters....
Yummy Prime Rib awaits at the end of this area...
A lovely way to spend an afternoon....now back to the diet!
Rosie in from Pennsylvania and a special private class in the studio...
Twentyeight students in the Brush painting class at the Huntington Botanical Gardens!  We had so much fun.  Yes, it was JOYFUL!!!
Joan,Shirley and Gwen, the three amigas.  Delightful new students for the studio's Brush painting class!
So many moments to find joy but in keeping with the baby shower at the start of this blog, I've been so thrilled to watch as these precious doves hatched and grew right at my front door.
I'll close with this photo of the fledgelings!
I wish you joy!
.

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.