Friday, November 10, 2017

CONTINUING ON IN NYC

First stop for the day was the American Museum of Natural History….Fullsizeoutput 17067
We had tickets to see a 3D show on Bird Migration...
Fullsizeoutput 1704c
The main event was the Hayden Planetarium for the Space Show ‘Dark Universe’.  I’ve seen other space shows there and they’re always spectacular moving you into a ‘space' of wonder at the beauty and depth of creation! Not sure why there aren’t more photos….perhaps because we were so overwhelmed...Fullsizeoutput 1704d
You can’t see the dinosaurs head which is so very small, perhaps accounting for their extinction!IMG 5553
Is it possible to visit NYC without a carriage ride through Central Park?  I know there’s a tremendous controversy about this and I absolutely agree but instead of asking that they be stopped I think a fund should be established to better care for the horses.IMG 5575
God bless you Wilson….We know your life needs more nurturing care…..IMG 5605
I had wanted to lunch at the Loeb Boat House but it was impossible to get in.  Most of all I love the ‘Birder’s Book’ just outside the entrance where people write of their sightings! Remembering how wonderful the Tavern on the Green was in years past made the current space a tremendous disappointment...IMG 5660
Outside, worker bees were getting ready for the New York Marathon…..IMG 5613
 No time to linger, we had to head back to the Four Seasons to get ready for our big night out, driver and all….First, dinner at La Masseria….Too noisy and way too busy.  A most typical NYC Italian restaurant.  This was the shared antipasti….So much that I could hardly handle the fish course.  Dessert was such a disappointment I won’t even show it to you and then it was out the door…driver James awaiting us as we headed for the Shubert Theatre.
IMG 5691
Tickets? Who cares….you still have to stand in line…...IMG 5703
Finally….IMG 5702
And yes, she was perfect….a national treasure of a performer….The audience went wild!IMG 5717
Fullsizeoutput 17040
Yet again, James awaited us and I was so grateful as it would have been impossible to navigate the evening without him.
IMG 5722
Hello Nikka!!!IMG 5726
Our last day in NYC began with a visit to National Graphic’s brand new show..’Encounter Ocean Odyssey'
IMG 5745
Then we were off to Grand Central Station in the pouring rain!  I forgot the Oyster Bar is closed on Sundays….what a disappointment as I had planned on lunch there but the Four Seasons worked out just fine...IMG 8672
Time to say a fond goodbye to NYC but what will remain in our hearts more than the sights and many adventures are the wonderful people we met along the way, the chance encounters and the meaningful conversations that will long linger in our hearts!
IMG 5308
 May you have many grand adventures!

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.