Friday, January 22, 2016

A DREAM FULFILLED.......

….and we witnessed it!  But first, does it really take one blonde and two brunettes to figure out a parking meter?  Apparently so!

IMG 9454

You all know how much I love ‘Recess Eatery’ on Brand Blvd.  I’ve long admired how Chef Sevan Abdessian built the restaurant slowly and wisely and always deliciously!  His lifelong dream of another amazing restaurant that would fully incorporate his vision took two and a half years to come to fruition and we were thrilled to be at the dedication of RECESS in Highland Park on York Blvd. This veteran of the culinary world brings us total East-side organic, gourmet food. Here’s my gals, Lisa Nikka and Amy!

IMG 9460

The bar was amazing and it was fascinating to watch the various drinks that were created!

IMG 9474

I love Noami, Chef Sevan’s mother.  She’s an amazing woman & it’s no surprise that she produced such a creative and visionary son.

IMG 9475

We were all so inspired to hear Sevan at the ribbon cutting ceremony…..

IMG 9480

O.K., I know, get to the food!

IMG 9485

Braised short ribs, horseradish pomme puree, braised kale, romesco

IMG 9486

Confit tomatoes, burrata, prosciutto, avocado, recess garden basil, balsamic essence, parmesan crisp

IMG 9488

 

IMG 9489

Yummyness on a stick!IMG 9490

You know you want it!

IMG 9493

CONGRATULATIONS CHEF!  I’m soooo proud of you!

IMG 9503

Back to the real world and our sweet puppy who flew out of Trudy’s grasp in the park and killed a poor, innocent SKUNK! This was 7:00 A.M. when Trudy came into the bedroom & asked if I could go outside…….

IMG 9355

 Dear Liz from ‘Must Love Dogs’ Mobil Grooming came by at 6:30 after working hard all day and gave Kita a double de-skunking bath.

IMG 9385

Don’t give me that look…..

IMG 9384

Nikka felt so sorry for puppy she stopped and got her a toy which was destroyed faster than the skunk!

IMG 9411

The new Landscape series in the studio was wonderful. Joseph T. brought a magnificent Brush Stand he made and we all went crazy over it.  Interested?  Ask me for a price quote.

IMG 9370

I was delighted that everyone learned a lot…...

IMG 9364

Dear Lisa came over and we tried to take a Selfie….need a lot more practice but it was fun!

IMG 9431

Oh no…not the plumber again!  Kita was happy about this…..

IMG 9423

What fun making Diane a true Espresso in the Nespresso machine and serving it in a proper British espresso cup!

IMG 9506

Time to paint Camelias……..

IMG 9528

May you have beautiful days kissed by the sun…….

IMG 9436

……and be sure to see all the lovely Camelias in bloom now!

IMG 9533

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.