Wednesday, December 23, 2015

HOLIDAY LAYERED JELLO MOLD for People Who Don't Like Jello

 

Tomiko phoned from Northern California last night and asked me for my recipe for an old fashioned jello mold that’s sure to please everyone!

IMG 7316

I make it in a teflon angel food pan that I first lightly wipe with Wesson Oil…..

IMG 8152

Actually this recipe could be enough for two large molds and I usually just use a glass bowl for the second mold.

FIRST LAYER:

Add 2 cups boiling water to one large package of Lemon Jello and stir ‘till dissolved then add

1 1/2 cups very cold water and place in the refrigerator until it’s slightly thickened.

Place a THIN layer of the Jello in your mold and on top of that add pineapple sections (as shown), Maraschino Cherries and if you like…green pears, arranging in a design that pleases you. On top of the fruit place a little more of the Lemon Jello.  Refrigerate until firm.

SECOND LAYER:

Add 2 cups boiling water to one large package Strawberry Jello stirring to dissolve.

Add ONE cup very cold water and refrigerate until it starts to thicken.

 

Whip thoroughly until it’s light andf frothy and more than tripled in volume.

Add:

2 sliced bananas

1 or 2 small cans of crushed and thoroughly drained pineapple (I then squeeze the fruit in paper towels to make sure all the liquid is out)

At least 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

About 7 sliced Marachino Cherries

You may also add small marshmallows if you like but they will be in the dressing)

Lightly fold in one large carton of Sour Cream so that it stays in chunks

Pour into mold and refrigerate until firm.

THIRD LAYER:

Add 2 cups boiling water to one large package of Black Raspberry Jello (or Black Cherry).

Drain one can or jar of Boysenberries using the liquid to make a portion of the 1 1/2 cups cold water you’re adding next.  When slightly set, add the drained Boysenberries and place in your mold.

NOTE:  I would make this the day ahead as the bananas don’t keep too well.

To un-mold I fill the kitchen sink with very warm water and jiggle the mold about in it for a few seconds ….lift out and using a sharp knife, go along the outside of the mold to check if it’s loosened.  Place a large plate or platter on top and carefully flip over.  If the mold doesn’t easily come out take a hot towels and place around mold to loosen.  Garnish as you please.

 

MYSTERY DRESSING FOR YOUR JELLO MOLD , otherwise known as The Pink Stuff (See if anyone can tell what the ingredients are)

Melt one 10 1/2 oz. bag of miniature marshmallows in a double boiler with

the juice from one large jar of red Maraschino Cherries 

Stir occasionally until completely melted.

Remove from heat and add about 12 diced Maraschino Cherries and one large carton of Sour Cream combining thoroughly.

Wishing you a delicious Christmas!

IMG 8119

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.