Tuesday, October 20, 2015

OH JOY....ANOTHER BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION.....

…..this one at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills for birthday girl beautiful Tina Marie!

IMG 5341

I know, you’re not supposed to pick up the plates but I’m so very proud of Lissi Kaplan who paints all of the serviceware for teatime at the Peninsula.

IMG 5344

Starting off…..

IMG 5348

You know you want it…..

IMG 5351

Well maybe just a touch to toast!

IMG 5346Sooooo cute!

IMG 5353

I had to have some caviar….

IMG 5354

Time to sing…..

IMG 5357

Make a wish!

IMG 5358

I don’t know.  Does this dress make me look fat???

IMG 5362

Checking in as we left….

IMG 5359

Vicki came back from her week away with Romeo.  They got bored in San Francisco and headed to Las Vegas.  I’m shocked!  Kita was overjoyed to have her back.IMG 5371

Some of you may remember Awesome Melanie Campbell.  She was a neo-natal nurse at Cedars and has left for Austin, Texas.  If she has a single sighting of Willie Nelson I’m dropping in on her!

IMG 5339

Melanie brought these terrific books and I’ve already given most of them away.  Miss Judith LOVED the ‘Anatomy for the Artist’!

IMG 5384

My time with Lisa Bowman is always so precious and I suspect we could talk forever.  Meeting at Wokano worked out great (for me!!!)

IMG 5379

 

Now these two are something else.  When I posted this photo on Facebook it got about a jillion likes and comments.  Krista is the other half of Brett & Krista, the couple I roped into walking Kita.  And my dear friend Lisa…well…Say, what is it with that name???IMG 5388

Anyone see the video I posted of this?  It was mayhem as puppy adores Krista and was probably asking her to take her to Brett!

IMG 5393

The next day was spent with Jose, my State Farm insurance agent.  We went over everything with a fine tooth comb & I managed to save quite a bit.  It’s a good idea to review policies every now and again but of course you already knew that.

IMG 5411

Awwww a baby!  This is Molly and Victor’s new ‘renter’.  She’s a reader at the Huntington in some obscure field and along with her hubby, a brainiack!

IMG 5426

Another awwwww…..Molly and Victor.  Molly is currently editing a book for the California Art Club to be published by Rizzoli and Victor is an engineer with a resume as long as my arm having worked on zillion dollar projects in the Middle East and elsewhere. (No exaggeration.)

IMG 5432

They live in Silverlake and as Molly has written several books on cooking it’s always a treat to sit on the ‘veranda’ and watch the birds frolic in the lake.

IMG 5433

See…………..

IMG 5445

Somehow I talked Amy into signing up for a Dior makeup class at Nordstrom's.  We logged in and then went upstairs to a curtained off area.

IMG 5460

IMG 5462

This setup was at every table and there were 4-5 ladies at each.

IMG 5463Amy don’t blink!

IMG 5470

Here’s the ‘instructor’ who was at our table.  Amy was a good sport and let him have his way with her clean face.  I on the other hand was an observer claiming that I was the ‘official’ photographer.

IMG 5479

They fed us first and had champagne which I imagine was to get everyone relaxed and in the ‘buying’ mood. I was almost hymotized into buying $500. worth of product but something snapped me out of it just in time!!!

IMG 5464

Adorable Nikka showed me her new apartment.  How wonderful, her first real grownup home!  She’s having more fun decorating and getting ‘stuff’ and I suspect it will be totally PINK.  Real girlie, girlie!

IMG 5504

The brand new fridge…..(New stove too). Notice the booties?  New floors, take off your shoes!

IMG 5501

The well stocked cleaning cabinet. Eeeee gads, is Nikka turning into a domestic Goddess? 

IMG 5499

After seeing Nikka’s apartment I knew we had to celebrate and where better than at COMMONWEALTH my new favorite place!  They serve small plates and quite possibly the best meal you have ever had.

IMG 5505

Ahi Tuna Sashimi with Sweet Onion Marmalade, Avocado & Micro Greens is always a must have….

IMG 5511

This was Nueske Bacon & Burrata with an Onion Compote, Grapefruit & Crispy Leeks on Grilled Bread.  It’s all about the bacon…isn’t it?

IMG 5512

The steak specialty of the evening that melted in your mouth.

IMG 5513

Truffle Mushroom Risotto with Mascapone & Truffle Butter. The most delicious I have ever had.  They must have marinated the assorted mushrooms as they were the yummiest!

IMG 5514

Of course I’m going to smile if you put Foie Gras in front of me!

IMG 5521

Apparently they don’t flambé the dishes in front of you anymore.  Is that so ’70’s?

IMG 5529

Soooooo happy!

IMG 5519

Saturday Tomiko & I saw ‘The Martian’ and loved it!  Be sure you see it in 3D!

IMG 5577

We ate at Trattoria Amici right across from Pacific Theatre but they must have a new chef or owners as it’s just not as good as it used to be.  Tomiko had to send this salad back.

IMG 5567

Every young girl at Americana was carrying a dolll from 'American Girl'!

IMG 5496

IMG 5563

IMG 5552

They even have a ‘Hair Salon’ where you can also get your dolls ears pierced.IMG 5555

Wishing you a week of cuteness overload!

IMG 5584

IMG 5458

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.