Wednesday, January 14, 2015

THE HUNTINGTON STORE.......

 

…..’A new shopping experience as exquisite as The Huntington itself.'

Members’ Preview - Tuesday, January 13th, 4:30 - 8p.m.

The Store is the first phase of the Steven S. Koblik Education and Visitor Center.

Amy did the most exquisite floral arrangement befitting the Huntington.  www.menuahflowers.com

IMG 3286

Amy is so precious, she used the seat belt to strap in the container holding the arrangement …..

IMG 3289

I needed help getting it to the Store…...

IMG 3291

IMG 3293

IMG 3343

IMG 3373

They even had a vendor’s  name tag for me!

IMG 3381

A perfect spot was found for Amy’s creation…..in the Chinese section….how fitting!

IMG 3300

It was difficult to get a good photo but here’s a look from a couple of angles….

IMG 3301

Those are actually green roses!IMG 3304

I was so thrilled to see Danielle Rudeen, Jim Folsom’s #1 everything, that I was actually gleeful!  Danielle (everyone calls her Danny) has been so kind to me throughout the 20 (correct) years that I’ve taught Brush painting at the Huntington.  We go back so far... she & the Botanical staff were working out of trailers and I was teaching in what was called ‘The Garage’ and is now the Boone Gallery.  So many wonderful memories!!! Anyway, I was so happy to show Danielle Amy’s beautiful work……I’m sooooo proud of her!IMG 3305

This may look familiar to you.  It was great fun looking about & finding my cards. (These are in the Chinese section along with my book ’The Ch’i of the Brush'.)

IMG 3307

IMG 3323

My ‘California Poppies’…..in the ‘California’ section!

IMG 3314

In the Japanese section…...

IMG 3324It was great fun seeing a woman purchasing this card! She told me she was going to frame it!!!  Oh joy…….

IMG 3360

Found my Dragon!

IMG 3335

And the Ram, originally painted for the San Francisco Symphony… Guess who’s year it is…...

IMG 3355

O.K. Brush painters….these wonderful brushes are for sale……perfect for your brush holders.

IMG 3308

Janet Crockett, the Store Manager/Buyer has the most amazing eye.  I am in awe of her taste and ability to find the most fantastic things and beyond grateful to have a small part in this wondrous assortment of treasures. ( Yes, I did go shopping and could scarcely contain myself!)  Here’s a photo of amazing Janet.

IMG 3296

IMG 3311

She was constantly in motion, checking everything out and helping everyone, including myself.  Here’s Janet discussing an arrangement with Jared.  I need to stay far away from him as he encourages my shopping way too much!IMG 3321

I did not do the following 2 cards but love them just the same!IMG 3316

This one is found in the ‘Book Section'

IMG 3318

So cool…..There is also a bracelet made up of old typewriter keys……love it!

IMG 3317

This is where I spied Sally Beaudette and asked her if she was stalking me.  I mean two days in a row?  Come on!  (She probably wanted to ask me the same)...

IMG 3320

Here’s the Children’s Section….love the tree with all the animals in it!

IMG 3328

Especially this raccoon!IMG 3329

Anyone for tea?

IMG 3330

 

IMG 3326

 

IMG 3325

 

Bears love honey…...IMG 3313

 

IMG 3331

Meet adorable Mary who was so charming in helping me select a pair of eye bobs……No I didn’t get the red ones.

IMG 3352

Love my new eye bobs…’Square Root’….'eyewear for the irreverent and slightly jaded’!

IMG 3383

After recently seeing the Route 66 exhibit with Carol Soucek King at the Autry Museum this was absolutely perfect for her! (I stopped by to deliver this on my way home.)

IMG 3382

This is a stunning area…..IMG 3347

Craftsman style items….IMG 3348

Milling about…..IMG 3357

IMG 3359

And some items I am saving my pennies for…..IMG 3364

IMG 3365

IMG 3366

IMG 3368

IMG 3369

IMG 3370

After all that excitement I had to calm myself with a gelato….  

IMG 3376

The spumoni as well as the pistachio are awesome….must have more!

IMG 3378

I wish you many treats along the way!

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.