Sunday, November 23, 2014

CALLING DR. KILDARE.......

…… or as Vicki reminded me when at another hospital I demanded….”I want a real doctor!”  Funny story…..not so much at the time.  While waiting eight hours  in ER at Providence Saint Joseph with Charles last Monday we were reminiscing…..eeeeee gads!

IMG 0406

This Cappachino was actually good but I think it was because we were cold, tired and hungry.

IMG 0420

I felt absolutely brilliant conquering this vending machine...

IMG 0407

….and this one...

IMG 0409

The week had started off promisingly with a visit to Disney Hall….Penderecki’s ‘Concerto Grosso for Three Cellos’ (1st L.A. Phil. performance).  Loved it!

IMG 0401

And then a quick dinner at the Patina Cafe in Disney Hall.

IMG 0402

 

I digress…..Back to ER where I had to chase down some water and a sandwich hopefully from this decade for Charles.  Imagine having to tell nurses that a patient is getting dehydrated waiting so long. First of course there is the visit by Dracula….

IMG 0414

Questions, questions, questions...

IMG 0412

You know, I asked one of the peeps what they would do in a disaster situation as ER really wasn’t that busy and was told “Only those at death’s door would be taken care of….the rest would be on their own!”  Comforting isn’t it….

IMG 0423

 Finally I staggered home around midnight and felt the need for a grilled cheese sandwich.  I’m sure you can relate to that!

IMG 0424

Charles internist left Dodge and won’t be back for a week….we’re left with horrific Dr. Patel who failed us so many times in the past.  Somehow I made it to the Huntington on Wednesday and was delighted to have a rewarding and satisfying class!

Jim Folsom, The Botanical Director stopped by and gave a hug to Ralph Komai whose family donated the bulk of the Huntington’s amazing Bonsai collection.

IMG 0430

Dory painted the branch first and then we had to figure out how to get this magnificent bird atop it!  Great job Dory!

IMG 0433

Pam loves to paint on these scrolls and was happily adding her chop to them.

IMG 0436

What can I say about Monica?  Her work is always so extraordinary….so creative and full of ‘Ch’i’!  I love it and my main job is getting her to realize how awesome she is.  I call her my Cy Twombly!

IMG 0437

Thank you Jessica for these delicious Japanese cookies.  Their flavor instantly brought me back to Japan and now I can hardly wait for 2015...

IMG 0443

It was a joy to see the Ginkgo Biloba trees along Allen….

IMG 0442

Meanwhile Kita is in love with our mailman and greets him without jumping up….

IMG 0452

 

Except when he wants to leave….

 

IMG 0456

Thursday was dear Amy’s birthday and I barely had time to give her a hug and then off to be with Charles.  He continues to amaze me with his style and grace.  I think he’s the only patient there taking everything in stride and ready with a smile that warms one’s heart!

IMG 0463

Then takeout at Recess for dinner with mom and Nikka...

IMG 0464

Lets hear it for the dessert!

IMG 0465

Mary Ternay was so kind to FedEx me a ticket to see Angelica Huston at the Alex so I thought as the theatre is so close to mom’s I’d do a pop in...

IMG 0467

 

IMG 0471

Now what’s amazing about this is that by pure serendipity I sat next to the most delightful woman and we were amazed at all we had in common.  She had me with the story of rescuing bees from a tree in their yard and I posted the video on Facebook. Afterwards we stood outside and talked some more & would probably still be there if it hadn’t started to rain.  

IMG 0477

Debbie and her husband adopted two Korean babies, now adults, with the daughter off doing 'save the world stuff' and Hunter, their autistic son who is in his early 20’s and trying to start his own business.  Hunter is a talented artist who does charming illustrations for canvas bags.  This is such a great thing to support as we all need a ton of them.

hunterlarkincreations@gmail.com and squareup.com/market/hunter-larkins-creations  I also posted a video of Hunter at work on my Facebook home page.  Hope you check it out.

Next day our little puppy went to the spa….

IMG 0481

 

Von at B-Elegant is so dear we love her so and it was a shock to hear she had lost her lease as the building was being sold.  It’s so difficult to see devastation so up close and after we hugged I promised to get right on it and contact Burbank realtors to find a place for her.  Kent came thru with a spot in a shopping mall where the owner wants an animal grooming shop!  Can you believe????  I so want it to work out.

IMG 0482

Vicki has been her usual awesome self staying with Sir Charles 24/7.  She really saved the day when a nurse wanted to apply the potent foot med to his skin.  They had a knock down over that but thankfully Vicki prevailed.

IMG 0508

I wish you a week of cuteness..

IMG 0499

…..and beautiful skies!

IMG 0494

 

 

 

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.