Monday, September 1, 2014

WE WILL ROCK YOU……

……and rock us they did as Tomiko & I caught the final performance of the music of QUEEN set to a story by Ben Elton.

128

On a show like this I think it’s best to be at the last performance as the cast seems to really go all out.  This was no exception and they had the full house at the Ahmanson on it’s feet!

129

After the final bow the stage went black and a text appeared….”Do you want to hear Bohemian Rhapsody????”  Well, the place went mad and we really did rock out!

So, with that fun way to start the week Laurie Pie came over to watch the Emmy’s ….but first….her sensational garlic bread with parmesan.

138

And boy does she ever make a terrific salad!

142

My turn….that ooey gooey yummy topping to the fresh fruit is Breyers Gelato Indulgences….Vanilla Caramel.  It’s sublime!

162

Time out for a little play….and a try at obedience training…

149 Well that didn’t last long…

151 Remember that little gift from the Peninsula Hotel?  Big mistake to leave  it on the table after I took this picture….but honestly, I forgot about it…….but Kita didn’t. She got it down on the floor…plate and all.  So talented!

147

Don’t give me that innocent look…I can’t believe you ate the whole thing…thank goodness it wasn’t chocolate!

166

I don’t know, when Chef Lauren isn’t at Bar Verde the food just isn’t the same….no finesse as you can see in this hot mess called Heirloom Tomatoes with Baratta.

009

See….no finesse.  I learned that at The French Laundry!

033

Class was wonderful this past week!  Violet shows Nadia, Mareya and Quyen (usually at the Huntington class) the special Japanese boards she uses to paint on & then give as gifts.

039

Lizzie went to a printer and had wrapping paper made from one of her paintings!

048

Thank you Lizzie, I will treasure this lovely book always.  Funny how appropriate it was for the day’s class.

049

Chef Kaley made me some Panna Cotta with beautiful fruit….polished off two right away!  Soooo good!!!

047

And once again Kathy hit it out of the park with her paintings!!!

079

069

073

Time to celebrate….let’s have cake……does it matter that we were a month off on Kc’s birthday???

061

058

No problem…..we’ll just do it again in September!

059

It’s only right that the week end with a ‘rockin blast’ so it was off to Bridget and Randy’s but first…how about my Killer Queen shirt!!! Nikka and Kim said I couldn’t leave the house without boots and black leather!

083

 

So delighted I had one of the wine bags left. Matched my shirt and killer in it’s own way.

081

I love these two…..

094

Wonderful memories of Tom doing this very special calligraphy for Bridget.

099

Best buds….Bridget with Maria Baird www.manifestingme.com (Remember I went to Don Baird’s book signing at Vroman’s for ‘Haiku: The Interior & Exterior of Being”.)

Here they are, 2 Too Sweet!

107 

Because I turn into a pumpkin I missed seeing sweet Diana Ming Jeong and Lee Powers her very special guy.

Anyone for S’mores???

116

Rock on!

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.