Monday, July 14, 2014

THE LAST CONFESSION……

……ended it’s run at the Ahmanson Theatre last Sunday and I was so delighted I didn’t miss it!  David Suchet, along with an international cast, starred in this production that was part of a world tour and they delivered some of the best acting I have seen in ages.  Centered around Vatican politics in the Curia it was brilliant even to the staging, costumes and lighting. Molly, in town from Mexico, went with me and shared my enthusiasm for the play.

001

It’s always great fun wandering about the Music Center.

030

If you Google Molly you’ll see that she’s written several books on healthy cooking (more on that later).  Molly is a co-author of the Rizzoli book ‘California Light: A Century of Landscapes, Paintings of the California Art Club’ of which she is also a member and contributes a column in their newsletter. An accomplished artist, Molly showed me her studio and miniatures she painted while in their home in Mexico.

034

O.K., enough of that…..I have my priorities…..what’s for dinner Molly????  (Remember I mentioned all her books on healthy cooking?)

038

This lovely salad had avocado & papaya….soooo good!

037

And then a pork loin with tamales from the local farmers market!

042

048

Need I explain?  When was the last time you did this???

050

It’s always so delightful dining on Molly & Victor’s deck overlooking Silver Lake…….

045

……and great fun coaxing Victor to regale us with some of his amazing adventures.

044

A perfect day and evening.  Thank you Molly!

Meanwhile Francisco and his crew had been working all the previous week and again this week.  I had them exchange the piece that was in the studio and now donated to Providence St. Joseph’s  for this one from mom’s.  Long story.  Complicated project but it’s finished.

033

I left while they were still working on my ‘to-do’ list and headed out to see Laurie Burton’s ‘new’ home.  It’s so fantastic that my photo’s do not do it justice but here are a few.

081

I love this stove!

040

And this bathtub does everything but sing you a lullaby!  Don’t you love how you can see into the garden area?  You can’t really make it out but the large green area in the center has been built up and there are several large rocks forming a path for a waterfall.  It’s marvelous and in the center a beautiful weeping willow!

100

The bedroom also faces this area and the pool on the other side.

061

Well it’s all too fabulous so you’re just going to have to see it for yourself.  Thank you Laurie Pie!

107

Clara’s back from Japan so we had to exchange stories and what better place for that than The Peninsula at teatime.  Can you stand it?

061

I always love seeing the china created by beautiful Lizzi Kaplan.

062

069

We were there so long that we got hungry and decided to go for dinner.  Clara said there was an amazing Chinese restaurant just across the street.  Ha! But truth be told, it was worth the walk….even in heels!  Clara ordered in Chinese and each dish was more amazing than the previous one.  I was thrilled.

082

089

So thin, sooooo perfect!094

Beautiful Sea Bass.100

102

Chicken & Fig Soup Elixir…..099

The food was sublime, all presented as an art form  and the service was  impeccable but I think that’s because of Clara. We must all go there and get the Peking Duck!

Joss Cuisine, 9919 Santa Monica Blvd., Beverly Hills.  310.277.3888

Foodies you will love reading their website!

www.josscuisine.com

088

Driving home I was treated to the extraordinary golden full moon & took this from the patio. Kc said we should paint it!

105

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.