Wednesday, June 25, 2014

SHUMEI ARTS COUNCIL of AMERICA……..

…… is located on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, CA. Many of you will remember the Dec. 2010- Jan.’11 exhibit in the ‘Shumei Hall Gallery’ showing my gifted students Brush paintings.  Jane Imai, one of the founders, was so very kind to us that when she asked if I would participate in the celebration for ‘Pasadena’s 100th Birthday Party’ I was delighted to say yes! Here’s lovely Jane at the ‘Shumei Arts’ table, set up to greet guests at the Pasadena Museum of History on Sunday.

068

My table was perfectly sized with lots of room for everything and I quickly set up. 

067

Thoughtful Jane brought yummy sandwiches and refreshments for us.

073

The Shumei Arts Council also sponsored a table for Origami that was very popular and many cranes were created! On September 19th thru November 19th 2014 there will be an Origami Exhibit at Shumei Hall Gallery featuring three of the most renowned Origami artists in the country. Don’t Miss it!

111 

Malcolm Gladwell’s ‘10,000 hours’ theory always serves me in good stead as I know the routine by now after way more time spent than that!  I had dozens of sheets of paper in manageable sizes and for each person coming to my table I would paint a Bamboo branch.

124

I guess you know what comes next.  I would hold the persons hand and we’d do 5 leaves and then ask if they would like to try it themselves.  What fun!  Everyone loved it and after they completed their masterpiece I put a red ‘Happiness’ mood seal on their painting.  Oh joy!!!

033

112

One visitor was so enthralled she painted Bamboo culms and all! With these cuties watching!

123

Here’s Wafic Khalil, Editor in Chief, wafic.k@coloradoblvd.net from www.coloradoboulevard.net  I’m not quite sure what was going on here….but he had so much fun he interview me later. If you go to:

www.coloradoboulevard.net/pasadena-birthday-bash-2014/ I’m the 4th photograph as you scroll down.

119

In between peeps I worked on this. It was a good way to show everyone how to do leaves but not so good for the composition!

001 

Time for birthday cake!  Remember I said it was a celebration of Pasadena’s 100th!

114

And Ice Cream……

107

This girl was soooooo adorable! The Historical Society hired her to spread joy about!!! Don’t you love the shoes???

109

You all know I’m a big dog gal but although it’s hard to believe, I had a little Scottie years ago.  Whenever I  see a ‘Westie’ (West Highland White) I go about as crazy as when I see an Akita or St. Bernard.  Amazingly there were two different Westies that day and I saw another two driving home. Can this fellow be any cuter? (Well yes, when his tail is up but I missed that shot.)

125

It was a wonderful day and I couldn’t wait to tell you all about it!

www.shumeiarts.org

Shumei Arts Council of America

2430 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91107

1.626.584.8841

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.