Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST FEATURED LUCIA’S STUNNING HOME…….

…..and it was the cover story!

124

We were favored with a ‘tour’ after lunch but more on that later.

Lucia went to China with us and it has been a great joy to have her sweetness in my life.  Sunday I was invited over for an intimate luncheon before leaving for Japan. Hi Lucia….I’m going to be slightly annoying as I have a need to photograph everything.  Just pretend I’m not here.

068

I was delighted to see dear friend Molly, in from Mexico for a month.  We had planned to get together and this worked out perfectly.074

I’m so proud of Molly….she had completed this large mural in Mexico in a home for precious orphans.

108 We had ‘Shirley Temple’s’ with little umbrellas.  Love it! Cynthia, I promise not to take more than 100 pictures!

072

While still in the kitchen (favorite gathering spot) I spied this charming collection of wall clocks!

079 These delicious yummies are from Trader Joe’s.  Warm cheesy little things with sweet onions atop them.  Note to self:  Must get!

077

Wish I had a better photo of this table, it’s so curvy and beautiful!  Very creative.

090

Maybe you can tell from this angle.

085

Up close.

090

So love this touch!

093

Now who would be brave enough to tackle a souffle for a luncheon (O.K. Sandie, but that’s it!) I had seconds of this cheesy yumminess. The recipe is in ‘Cook’s Magazine.

091

So cute!107 A lovely flan for desert with beautiful fresh fruit…..

130  Time for the tour. Lucia is telling us about this magnificent piece she discovered on a trip to China (before ours). It’s a wonderful accent to the very modern, pristine space.

113

Oh I nearly forgot….I LOVE this ‘dog’ table and the piece above it! I definitely think humor & ‘modern’ go together….don’t you?

094

This painting is quite large and my photo does not do it justice.  I have to say it really ‘grew’ on me.

088

On to the study….notice anything?

116

Give up?

Wait for it….

Wait for it…..

O.K.

118

And here’s where Lucia works…

117

What I so love is that everything has a deep and personal story to it….

This piece is so magnificent.  Custom built, completely hand made by an artisan, the wood is so beautiful and the workmanship….oh my…

122

An original Corita…how I loved her work…and still do!

120

A perfect way to close this blog is with this magnificent painting by Lucia….isn’t it grand!!!

127

Thank you dear Lucia for a memorable afternoon!

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.