Wednesday, February 12, 2014

There Was an Extra Class in the Studio…..

……on February 1st, Chinese New Year,  because Tom’s Calligraphy class was changed to the 8th. 

Amy did so beautifully in  her very first class.

026

….and had so much fun!

022

…..and these lovebirds drove all the way from Encinitas!

027

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  Not very ‘super’ was it?  Renee Fleming was the only bright spot…

042 Well, I do love the Muppets….All the commercial were great!

040 And of course, I ‘discovered’ Bruno Mars.

062 Finally saw ‘Her’ with Laurie.  It was an interesting and quite possible look into our future.  Joaquin Phoenix excellently portrays a soulful man who purchased an Advanced Operating System (OS) voiced by Scarlett Johansson.  ‘Samantha’ while a computer, learns and develops and becomes quite human in her desires.  Fascinating.

070

We then went to Nordstrom…Hi Laurie!

071

……and then up to Bar Verde.  Surprise, surprise! Laurie’s a very bad influence at the movies as she wants to get the large size popcorn with an immediate refill.  We ate so much popcorn there was hardly room for the delicious artichokes & tacos!

074 

I missed Bar Verde so much that’s where Amy & I had lunch the next day.  Hey, where’s my plaque you guys!

090

Sad to loose Pete Seeger…..

067

This is sooooo ridiculous!030

Betty Kwong visited the studio and we had a delightful conversation!

081

I mounted Amy’s paintings so she could see how wonderful they are…..

084

I got a chance to meet Marianna, Amy’s beautiful daughter…..093

….and of Course little Mia! The cutest!!

092

The fight to save ‘Tirado House’ in Silver Lake was in the L.A. Times.  This historical residence was designed by my early mentor & dear friend Gilbert Leong, a pioneering Chinese American architect and Lisa See’s uncle.

096

097

Marsha and Stu, my long time (since grade school) Chicago friends winter in Newport Beach (I blogged about going there last year). Since we all wanted to go to LACMA it was a perfect place to meet…..starting with lunch there at Ray’s.

004

This is soooooo cool!

001

008 ……and authentic Japanese Green Tea!

007

You had to buy tickets (in addition to Museum membership) and Turrell was $25.00.  What I enjoyed most….and got the most out of was the video of him explaining our perceptions.  We decided to skip the domesque single chamber event as you not only had to sign a release but the 2 attendants were wearing white doctors coats.  I didn’t think being enclosed (locked up) in a chamber, flat on my back, would work for me.

023

The Calder exhibit was wonderful.  It was great fun trying to analyze exactly how and where everything was balanced.

We also saw a small David Hockney exhibit….this was a piece that had 18 cameras positioned on a scene of jugglers. (Please….no photographs!)

011

012

I must say riding in this gynormous elevator is great fun!

026 By the time we said goodbye it was dark and the Chris Burden streetlamps installation ‘Urban Light’ was all aglow.

030

033

As always, Tom’s Calligraphy class on the 8th was wonderful!

034

Tom wrote a beautiful scroll for Bridget.

044

And here it is!

050

Tom and cutie Diana!!!

052

Thank you Miss Judith, I will always treasure this as I do your friendship!010 A perfect way to end the week!

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.