Tuesday, June 11, 2013

AND THE BEAT GOES ON……

……with Lynne, Kc and Violet, co-conspirators in planning a surprise birthday celebration for me.

The mystery began when Lynne picked me up ….. I had no clue where we were going.  Lynne knows all the special routes and I was delighted to drive thru Stadium Way off the 5 to downtown L.A. because I had never see that beautiful, scenic route before.  (Must be in a cave.)

Anyway, we park in a lot 1/2 block from Pershing Square and I’m told '”We’re going to THAT building.” (You’ve got to be kidding thought I).

033

Across the street we go and enter through these amazing doors.

117

I’m right behind you Lynne……….. 038

But first, in passing I noticed the plaque outside ..….

037 Hi Lynne…..

039 You change elevators twice to get to ‘PERCH’  the most wonderful roof deck where Kc and Violet were awaiting out arrival.

072

So cute….

068 Now the next few photos are for my foodie friends…..

Here’s the Brie en Croute…puff pastry wrapped brie, gala apple, fennel, pecan slaw, wholegrain aioli

063

Truffle French Fries with some heavenly cheese..061

Ladies please, one at a time….

064

065 Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta with shallots, garlic, balsamic vinegar on herb crostini

062

Now if I hadn’t taken a bite out of my Mini Hot Dog…linguica sausage, honey mustard & caramelized onions, you could see it in all it’s yummyness.

071

What do you suppose these two are talking about?

076

I bet it’s Kc’s pedicure….

082

Since I seem to photograph EVERYTHING, don’t you think my birthday card is appropriate!!!

086

Kc & I had more fun ‘snapping’ each other….

048 091 The big decision now is where to hang the terrarium….it’s just delightful!

057

And what’s a birthday without cake and a candle….or should I say the most delicious Bread Pudding…..

085

Lynne, Kc and Violet with oh so happy me!!!102

Have to show you Luke, our wonderful server!

095

Kc is looking for ‘Pershing, the Chinese Eel’ …. the building’s mascot.116

Thank you dear friends for a most memorable day!

Oh, on our return, Lynne had the usual greenie for Kita….

119

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.