Tuesday, April 16, 2013

WE HAVE TO GO BACK……..

………but wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.  Here I am last Wednesday morning, off to LAX.

NOTE to SELF:  While you may love that bag, please remember to take one with lots of pockets for ‘stuff’….and, it should only weigh a few ounces.

SECOND NOTE to SELF:  Don’t you think those Porche sunglasses are a bit much???

20130410_092810

Can you believe this was the very first time I didn’t check my luggage thru…. Got this little Samsonite carry-on number and crammed all the essentials into it.  So pleased.

153

Wait just a minute…I didn’t say goodbye to Charles……

20130410_092841

O.K., I’m ready to go…………

20130410_093000

Oh this is great, comfy sedan, friendly driver and a beautiful day.  Traffic’s not too bad as we’re approaching the Los Feliz off ramp on the 5.

001

WAIT……….WE HAVE TO GO BACK! “Go back?????” says my driver…..”are you sure…what do you need…..you can get it there”?????  “Oh no” says I as he glumly gets off the freeway and heads on back.  Meanwhile, I phoned Nikka with instructions to grab the two make up cases on my bathroom counter and meet us at Western & Glenoaks!  At this point I’m sure all you gals understand WHY I had to go back.  In fact, if I  had been at LAX & noticed the missing items, I would have gone back….plane or no plane.  Honest.

You can hardly see her but this lady was an angel in disguise.  She checked me in and when I asked her where I should go next she replied…..”Just go back outside, turn left and walk about ten minutes…….then go inside to Gate 68”  WHA????????????????

002

Guess my face fell as she then asked if I’d like a wheelchair.  FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!  Guess you know my answer.  So into the chair I plop as my ‘driver’ carts me the ten minutes outside and then about another 20 minutes inside over hill and dale.  We went on forever and honestly I don’t know how anyone does it.  Even had to take two elevators to get to other levels……Now that I had that ‘light bulb moment’, I requested a wheel chair to meet me when my plane landed……good thing too as the connecting flight was at the other end of the Cincinnati airport and I had less than 30 minutes to make it!!!  Gosh the airlines should pay us to fly.

Great flight Captain…..you earned your wings.

003

Someone asked if WKRP was playing.  I thought that was quite clever.

004

Still on Delta (love them) and on my way to Richmond Virginia.

005

You’ll love this one.  (I’m laughing so much I don’t know if I can type.)  The stewardess asked me if I could manage the steps or if I wanted a ramp.  I didn’t know what she was talking about but said yes to the ramp as I usually say yes to everything & anything.  So……they pulled the ramp up to the plane just for me!…..Can you see the stairs????

007

Finally at about 10:00 P.M.

008

My temporary nest.

112

But to get there I had to walk down this corridor……………….

110

………turn and go down this way to the very end…….

111

Ahhhhhhh……………………….made it.

009

Plenty of room for those ‘cosmetic bags’………

011

11:00 P.M. dinner…….cobb salad…….

012

……to be continued.

No comments:

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.