Sunday, February 17, 2013

IT’S ALL ABOUT THE GUESTS at VALERIE’S PARTIES…..

…….and this Valentine’s Day bash was no exception.

I arrived late and saw Virginia Kazanjian leaving with friends sweet Sophie on the left and Maidee on her right.  Thought the hat was so cute and had to take a picture. Hey Virginia, think I could borrow the ‘Red Diamond’?  Just for Valentine’s Day of course.

009

Helga, Valerie’s #1 Assistant with the ‘Star of the Show’,  Master Rigby Locke McLean, just seven months on our beautiful blue planet.  Genetically speaking this precious boy won the lottery!

012

I know Master Rigby, you agree. I can tell you’re one smart fellow!

015

Departing guests have depleted this stash….

016

Welcome to a land of wonder and delight…..Mom Vanessa stands ready to greet stragglers such as myself……

018

….by the time I had arrived, guests were no longer sitting in the garden….I especially missed seeing Gayle Garner Roski and having some deep think art talk with her.  Gayle’s getting ready for a trip to Brazil.  WOW, lots of inspiration there.

Speaking of Brazil,former Brazilian tennis champion Jorge Paulo Lemann, one of Brazil’s wealthiest financiers with 3G Capital and Warren Buffet are buying iconic ‘Heinz’ ketchup.  So now we can have a little bit of Brazil with our burgers….maybe even 58 Varieties!

028

…. I digress…..Back to the garden where it’s so very tranquil and pretty.

068

….”I know I left that treat somewhere”……

029

….there’s even a harpist for some ‘heavenly music’!

025

Valerie, our beautiful and sparkling hostess….(I think she wants to keep this rocking horse….Don’t tell Rigby.).

033

On the left, warm & lovely philanthropist Michele Engemann took Brush painting from me with her mom, dear Helen Dedeaux who we all miss terribly. Some of my loveliest memories are afternoons visiting with Helen.  On the right is sweet Peggy Collins, a tireless ‘Blue Ribbon’ member.

Can you tell I didn’t get the ‘Pink & Red Memo’?  What’s that around my neck???? Oh, a heart, that’s good.

037

Here’s Aunt Vanya, Valerie’s sister. Vanya has the most fabulous ‘Estate Sales’ and you should get on her e-mail list…..right now!!! ‘ Vanya’s Distinct Possessions’….and I MEAN distinct.  Info below.

046

Cheers Judith Mancini! And congratulations on your awesome ‘La Contessa Skin Care’.  You’re a walking advertisement! (Info below)

073

Beautiful Auntie, LCdr Boyden R., Vanya’s GREAT daughter with a sleepy nephew…..he was sooooooooooo good!!!

070

Auntie Boyden, Master Rigby and proud mom Vanessa.  This is such a precious picture of the two cousins…and what beautiful smiles they have!

This photo courtesy of Howard Pasamanik.

9576

With Stuart, proud dad!

Photo courtesy of Howard Pasamanick.

9832 

Delightful Angel Chen of S.I.A.S. University in China got the memo…..

019

….we all sang happy birthday to brilliant architect Jim Porter with lovely wife Faith.  Jim has numerous large scale projects in China.  (Hmmmmm, do we love things Chinese?  I suspect so.)

088

And here’s sweet Laura engrossed in conversation with Carol T. who has her back to us….you can barely see Laura’s hubby Mike….What a great couple!

085

This exquisite ring is worn by it’s designer, Pamella Berry.  She creates the most dramatic, stunning works of wearable art!

047

Here’s another of Pamella’s creations…..

049

Earrings too….

055

And here’s the designer herself…..(No, she didn’t do the pearls.  I asked.  They were purchased after her first BIG commission!!!)

053

Start saving your pennies…..metaphorically speaking.

094

And now we have world famous sculptor, Christopher Slatoff with Michele who you already met.

041

Awwwwwwww……………….

042

Here’s Christopher with one of his pieces in Valerie's collection.  Valerie has christened him ‘the next Michelangelo’. Of course you recognize beautiful Elaine Adams who brilliantly represents Christopher at her American Legacy Fine Arts Gallery. I’ll visit Christopher’s studio and blog about it soon!

067

Up close and VERY personal.

064 

O.K., time for some scenes………

021

Exquisite flowers…….

052

Everywhere……………

043

Did I say everywhere????

044

I mean everywhere!!!

045

And gifts for Master Rigby…..

032

Woops….more flowers………..

060

The beautiful buffet……Hi Elaine……

020

Beautiful Vanessa with her ‘new mom’ glow!

023

I’m showing you the sweet table first…..

026

After all, I have my priorities…..

027

O.K. Foodies.  This is for you………….

057

Yummy quiche……………

058

What’s left of the salmon by the time I got to it………….

059

Pasta salad……….

061

Who ate all the cheese???

062

Bowls of beautiful fruit…..

063

And the wonder worker herself, dear Josie, in charge of all things delicious.  Thank you Josie!

Photo courtesy of Howard Pasamanick.

9736

Oh gosh….almost forgot the popcorn machine.

075

And champagne…….served by Felicito… off duty from the Beach Club.

076

O.K., who got into this cake….come on, confess!!!

078

Needs no text.

079

Nor does this.

080

Well done Master Rigby!

Photo courtesy of Howard Pasamanick.

9997

The valet’s placed a long (and I mean llloooonnnnggggg) stemmed rose in each car.

089

Guess the party favor…..

090

Oh you’re so smart!

091

Some lucky folks got fresh (and I mean fresh) eggs from Valerie’s chickens.  You read me right……chickens!!!!

092

For More Information:

www.americanlegacyfinearts.com

www.slatoffsculpture.com

vanya8@gmail.com

www.lacontessaskincare.com

www.pameladesigns.com

howard@hpphotography.com

crystalvalet@aol.com

3 comments:

Lynne T said...

What a wonderful blog and fabulous photos. You are so talented.

Unknown said...

I'm trying to locate my dear friend Valerie Joyce Foster Hoffman. Its been 16yrs. Kara Allen Richards

Nan Rae said...

You can reach Valerie at Valeriefoster@verizon.net

Introduction

There is no avoiding the pull of the internet, the blogs, the YouTube imaginings. It's as if we're all 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac each in our own world of meanderings. When we tell someone to 'get a life' it might be a bit difficult when you're dragged into other people's 24/7.

I've come to realize two foundational principals, there are no accidents and everyone has a purpose. More and more I'm desiring everyone to come into a full realization of their purpose as we all find our way on this little jewel of a planet.

For me, as a professional 'Western style artist', I stumbled into Chinese Brush Painting after a trip in 1980 to Monet's home/garden. Seeing all of his collection of Japanese woodblock prints was an ahh haa moment for me and when I returned to the States I started painting in the Chinese manner and never looked back. The first year was extremely painful for me as I felt that I should be able to master the technique since I was a 'trained' artist. Not a chance ... that just gets in your way.

Now, after teaching close to 3,000 students and having my book 'The Ch'i of the Brush' published by Watson Guptill, I can say that every one of my students does better their first day than I did my first year! Why? Because I insist that they leave their critical parent outside and just enjoy the journey, respecting the work that they do. I never let anyone throw anything away because that just ingrains frustration and defeat.

We really only begin to learn when we stop and figure out how to 'save' a painting. It works every time.I am so proud of my students, their receptivity and eagerness to express themselves is a continuing blessing for me.So, back to finding your purpose. Perhaps it starts with realizing 'it's not about me'. It so easy to want our needs met and to filter everything thru this attitude. When we realize that we're here to be of benefit to every life that we touch the universe really provides the ways and means.

The best part is that it's really exciting to not have yourself on your mind all the time!I'm re-reading a wonderful book about authenticity and in my next meandering I'll tell you about it. In the meantime I'd love to hear about your journey and am here to answer any and all questions about Chinese Brush Painting.